Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

Numbness below knee to ankle, sore gluteal area, back pain. CT scan report attached. Taking nurofen daily.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 504 Questions
Hello Doctor,
I have sent in my ct scan report, att. I am numb just below the knee to ankle with back pain also i also do take nurofen 400mg daily for pain. when would this get better. Also the numbness in the leg in morning and night. I am mobile , i exercise daily, see a osteopath weekly and it has been like this for 8 weeks. i do not get the shooting pains just numb in the lower right leg and sore in the gluetus area . Thank you
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the clinical information provided to me it looks to me like you are suffering from Lumbar spondylosis and slip disc compressing the spinal nerves exiting the vertebral foramina at the level of L5 & S1 levels (l5-S1 Radiculoneuropathy). Scan report confirms the compression of the nerve radicles at the level of L5-S1 formaina.

My recommendation would be for you to see your Spine or Neurosurgeon for a good clinical examination and consultation. If at examination you have signs of nerve you may have to consider the option of surgery in you. Medicines like Gabapentin and Pregabalin would help in reducing the soreness in the gluteal region. Till then try avoiding lifting weights, continue on moderate back exercises and nurofen for disabling pain.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.


Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor