• question-icon

Numbness and tingling in hands, head and face. Diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome. Worried about blocked artery in neck.

Posted on Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Brain and Spine
Question: I have been going to the doctor since November 23rd due to numbness and tingling in my hands, head, and face. My doctor ran bloodwork and diagnosed me with sjogren's syndrome. However, the numbness has progressed to me almost passing out and feeling unable to breathe on a daily basis, and when it happens I sometimes can't swallow. Sometimes it gets worse with the way I turn my neck. I'm starting to wonder if I have a blocked artery in my neck. My doctor hasn't mentioned this as a possibility at all. I'm getting frustrated because I'm being proactive and trying to listen to whatever warning sign this is, and I feel like I'm being ignored due to my young age, I'm 31. Today I was told to consider that nothing is wrong and that perhaps its just anxiety, but I know my body and nothing like this has ever happened to me before. Could this be a blockage of some sort? Or could it be some sort of pinched nerve?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later

Your symptoms are more likely to be due to a nerve compression or irritation rather than a vascular problem.

To diagnose the cause you need proper investigations like MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) of neck. This will help in finding out any nerve compression as well as some soft tissue abnormalities.

Do consult an orthopedician under whose guidance you can get yourself properly investigated.

Meanwhile avoid using a pillow while sleeping and concentrate on having a healthy diet and a moderate exercise for good health.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon