Numbness and pain all over body, burning sensation in palm and leaking urine. Cause and cure?

Dr. Om Lakhani

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: My mother-in-law is 58 years old. She has this problem since so many years. The problems are:
- She has urine leakage in normal time even though she is not coughing or sneezing
- She has burning sensation in her palm,surface area surounding the mouth,in her legs
-she has pain in eye and ear, water is coming out of eye
-She has numbness feeling in her hand and muscles in legs
-She has cramps in her legs
-She has pain in her teeth

She used to tell that when she feels bad at health , she gets all the above problems nad when her health is good, none of the problems occur.So she ahs a feelling like all these happening due to some particular health issue and if that is cured all health issues will be solved. We met medicine specialist,urologist,gyanacologist,eye specaist ,dentist etc. But they didnt find any major health problem after doing lot of tests. They only suggested some vitamins like calcium and vitamin D3 as those were deficient in her body.

So can you recognize what health issue is causing all the above problems ?
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 13 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,

It is quite possible that all these problems may not have a single reason behind it. However three things come to my mind when I see the problems of your Mother in law

1. Diabetes
2. thyroid problems
3. Depression

I would advise you get the following tests done for her:
1. Fasting Blood sugar
2. HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin)
3. TSH
4. Urine routine and microscopic examination

If you have already done these tests recently please send over the reports so that I can analyze them

Sometimes depression causes multitude of symptoms without anything positive coming out in tests. Depression is very common and often very difficult to recognize in general as most people have self-denial of the same. Post menopausal females often experience such symptoms associated with depression. Mayo clinic, USA provides an excellent depression screening tests based on questions online. Here is the link ( WWW.WWWW.WW . Ask her to undergo this screening and let me know the results.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Dr. Om Lakhani, MD (Gold medalist)
Consultant Physician & Diabetologist
WWW.WWWW.WW (online expert diabetes care consultantion)
Follow up: Dr. Om Lakhani 9 minutes later
Thanks dr. for your quick response for this query as we all are worried for my mother-in-law's health problems.

We have already done Fasting blood sugar,TSH and Urine routine and microscopic examination for her so many times as we consulted so many specialist here in Bangalore in good hospitals and they also normally ask to get these tests done and all the reports always used to be normal. I will get the soft copy by today/tomorrow and upload for your reference. We will get HbA1c (Glycosylated hemoglobin) done sometime during the weekend. Also, i will ask her to appear the depression sreening test using the link provided by you and will let you know the results for that also.
Answered by Dr. Om Lakhani 11 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank for the followup. Please let me know the results and also other relevant reports. We can have a good review overall and we can consider some concrete steps to help her out.

Glad to help

Regard
Dr. Om Lakhani, MD