Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Numb, red and swollen cheeks. Had Bell's palsy. Cancer?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Allergist and Immunologist
Practicing since : 1985
Answered : 4912 Questions

my cheek feels numb , it is red, swollen --- has been like this for 2 days; and the inside of the cheek hurts. not the teeth. like if I put my tongue on the inside it hurts. on the outside of the cheek it feels numb though. Also, the other cheek hurts but much much less the same way.

I had Bell's palsy 2-3 times in my life, but it never got so red, or I don't remember. It also was unilateral and I don't remember this kind of pain or this kind of wierd redness - this feeling that I have now that my cheeks are on fire. Yesterday it looked really weird ( but it doesn't anymore --- like areas of whiter color, areas of red, areas of pink all interspersed together. And wider area. Now it settled on a uniform red, hot and inflamed.
Another question that I have is this : would it be possible for me to have some kind of cancer? The pain feels like razor blades at times when I feel pain. Since I have ever started to use a computer, even for one hour or two, since I can remember , my cheek got red and the pain was similar. These days I am having exams so my staying on the net was prolonged. I kinda expected for teh area on my high cheeks to get red and feel a sting, but it actually got worse as described above and the pain is weird likea razotr blade on th e inside. Always one cheek seemed more sensitive than the other --- the cheek that got redder now.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Suman Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Bell’s palsy is of viral cause and your answer for cancer is “no”.

It seems to be lichen planus which is viral and given the same type of symptoms as you have described.

You can go to your physician to get it examined and to conclude on the cause. Your physician must know of tests for diagnosing lichen planus.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor