Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

126 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Numb hand and rapid breathing with elevated blood pressure. Should I consult a doctor?

Jan 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1658 Questions
Hi, I have had a spike in my blood pressure suddenly tonight, stayed in the 120 range for about an hour, with slightly elevated blood pressure. it is slowing coming down but bp has dropped below my normal range. Also numbness in hands and rapid breathing. Should I go to ER or okay to wait till morning?
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 47 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

What is your normal blood pressure?
Considering your age, systolic blood pressure 120 mm Hg is considered to be normal.
Blood pressure (for a person of your age) up to 130/ 80 mm Hg is considered to be normal.
So in my personal opinion, your blood should be labeled as normal , not on raised side.

As such there is diurnal variation (changes during whole day) in blood pressure and blood pressure is lowest at 3:00 AM in early morning.
Then blood pressure started rising and up to evening time, it is on raised side.

Presence of numbness in hands and rapid breathing may be because of anxiety.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also consult with psychiatrist, if required.
As such there is no correlation between your symptoms and defined diseases.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist