Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Novasure ablation done. Getting pain with brown discharge and frequent urination. Prognosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1983
Answered : 979 Questions
I had Novosure Abalation for very heavy periods about 5 years ago. This reduced my periods to a smelly brown discharge, had couple of infections and been feeling very unwell since. I went to NHS hospital in Belfast Aug 2012 and had an transvaginal ultrasound which was 'normal', no mention of mass, could it have grown in 2 months? but I was offered another abalation or hysterectomy. I declined both. My gp suggested my symptoms were urological due to pain and frequent urination/incontinence. I paid privately to see a Urologist who felt my issues were related to the abalation, performed an u/sound which showed up a mass on my uterus. I then had an MRI in Oct 2012 and the report showed I had a 2cm adenomyoma (consultant said 95% sure benign) seen within the anterior wall of fundus and that my endometrial cavity is either bicornate or there is an adhesion seen centrally.separating the cavity into two components. He has put me on a waiting list for Hysterectomy. I have since been rushed to hospital on two occasions 1st with severe right pain and the 2nd with severe left pain, tummy swollen and pressure sensation on bladder and have ongoing cramps/pelvic pain. The 1st occasion I was told I was suffering from constipation. The 2nd the dr mentioned my ovaries/some sort of rupture. Bloods normal, no u/sound was performed and pain subsided. I am on a waiting list for a Hysterectomy since Oct12. I am not happy with my management as I feel because I no longer have heavy bleeding, they are ruling out something sinister and not seeing the full picture. I do not always know when I am menustrating as I have brown discharge most of the time. I am terrified that this will pain will occur again. I have never felt so exhausted, unwell and stressed as in the past 5 years, I used to be so active, now I feel like collapsing when I walk up stairs. I suffer from IBS since 18 and I have had quite a lot of diarrohea recently, worse when I think I have my period or eat larger meals. What I am specifically worried about is the development of cancer due to this mass. I now worry about ovarian cancer, my maternal aunt died of this. I intend to visit my GP on Monday. What do I ask for? Is it reasonable to ask for a CA 125 test and other bloods and to be referred urgently for an u/s. Perhaps if if was a rupture 4 days ago, nothing will be seen until another cyst develops? I am really sick of being fobbed off by GPs that there's nothing wrong and being given painkillers and sent away.
I am 8 1/2 stone, 5-2. Can you please tell me what I need to be asking for?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 39 minutes later

Welcome and thanks for the query

After going through the whole history of yours I don't think you are having a bicornuate uterus as it is usually diagnosed at much younger age and especially during the procedures like ablation etc.It can be an ovarian mass or haemorrhagic cyst in ovary with adhesions or an endometriosis giving rise to pain on one side along with brown discharge.Endometrial ablation removes an endometrial polyp but not a fibroid on the fundus.Fibroids are benign tumours and usually give rise to menorrhagia or heavy bleeding.As you are having family history of ovarian tumour ,you should get tumour markers done to exclude any carcinoma.CT scan and MRI are done to make the picture more clear.It is better to wait for the results rather than going directly for the hysterectomy.Your doctor will do all the investigations required before going for any invasive surgery.Urogenital symptoms can be an associated finding and may require cystoscopy.Weakness can be due to blood loss, anemia , diarrhoea, an ovarian pathology or due to stress.Just relax and wait for the investigations and results..Renal stone can also give rise to pain and weakness so it is better to get urine analysis done along with renal function tests.
I hope this clears your query to some extent , any further query is most welcome
Best wishes and good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Novasure ablation done. Getting pain with brown discharge and frequent urination. Prognosis? 28 minutes later
Hello Dr Bhagia

I don't have a fibroid according to the gynae consultant. He said this was different from an adenomyoma and this was confirmed on MRI. The MRI also showed no endometriosis. My main concern is since it is 4 months since seeing Gynae I feel I need to be reviewed. What do I ask my GP to do? Refer me urgently? Am I at risk of another of what I feel was an ovarian cyst rupture? This is my main concern. I have been told that Hysterectomy is my way to remove the tumour.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 11 hours later

Welcome once again

Yes it is better to get reviewed especially after the pain and an irregular bleeding with brownish discharge.Ultrasound and basic blood investigations gives you the guidance and line of treatment so the GP can refer you to your Gynecologist for all these tests.It is better to get all the investigations done under gynecologist.It can be a haemorrhagic cyst which gives rise to adhesions and causes pain.Torsion of an ovarian cyst also gives rise to an acute pain abdomen but does not subside with medicine and it usually occurs with pedenculated big serous cysts.Brownish discharge can be due to hormonal disturbances , hypothyroidism or can be perimenopausal so it is better to get investigated as soon as possible because you are feeling very weak.
Best wishes once again
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor