Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Noticing small boils on shaft of penis. Have itchy feeling. Can I apply Neosporin on the affected area?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2015 Questions
hello Doctor,

from past few days, I'm noticing small boils on the shaft of my penis. they don't hurt but are itchy sometimes. can I apply either Neosporin or Miconazole on the affected area?
Posted Sat, 19 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Do not use Neosporin or miconazole

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us.
From the description provided, it seems you could be having nodular scabies, boils , lichen nitidus or eczema.
Nodular scabies presents as itchy elevated lesions over genitalia and itching is mainly in night.
Eczema presents with itchy red scaly lesions
Lichen nitidus present as very small skin colored itchy elevated lesions
Boils are red lesions usually tender but may itch at times.

Scabies would require permethrin and steroid application
Eczema and lichen nitidus requires steroids
Boils would require antibiotics like mupirocin or fusidic acid. Neosporin may be used but it has a skin irritating potential and with better antibiotics available is not much preferred these days.

I would advise that you XXXXXXX a dermatologist nearby as the diagnosis can only be ascertained after seeing the lesions.
You may also upload an image of the concerned lesions, this would help me in thinking a probable diagnosis.
Hope this helped.
Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor