Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Noticed yellowish and thick liquid oozing from nipples. Stopped feeding. What could this be?

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12754 Questions
I am having liquid coming out of right nipples occasionally in the past few days. I have a 8 month old son and stopped breast feeding after 3 months. There is also a sharp pain in the right breast Bone and its increasing suddenly. The liquid is yellowish and thick.
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
A yellowish thick discharge from the breast is common due to mild hormonal changes in the body upto two years after the child birth.
Chronic breast stimulation, such as from frequent breast self-exams or sexual activity also is one of the common causes of galactorrhoea. If you are having normal regular periods then having a pregnancy is a remote possibility.
The other possible causes are mammary duct ectasia, an underactive thyroid gland, tumor (prolactinoma) or other disorder of the pituitary gland, etc.
All these causes can be ruled out after some simple blood tests and a detailed examination from your gynecologist.
You can wait and watch for 7-10 days for it to subside spontaneously and if it persists then the cause needs to be investigated.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed yellowish and thick liquid oozing from nipples. Stopped feeding. What could this be? 3 hours later
Thanks for answering my question. I am not having regular cycles, but having regular periods, I mean the cycle varies between 30 days to 50 days. I am more concerned as a cousin of mine is diagnosed with breast cancer from my mother's side and I had fibroids earlier. Would you suggest getting a mammogram ? Last I had is in 2009. I am taking an appointment with my obgyn on Monday.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since your cousin has been diagnosed with breast cancer, you can get a mammogram done and check the serum prolactin levels after consulting your gynecologist. This will help in detecting the exact cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor