Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

Noticed white spots near pubic area. Suggested as Litchen Sclerosus and taking medicines. Scars are left behind. Suggest the treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1560 Questions
My sister (age 32) is noticing white spots near the pubic area. She consulted a doctor who suggested this may be 'Litchen Sclerosus', prescribed some drugs (tricot injection, propyjol NS). She observed that the scars go away while on medicine but immediately come back once it stopped. Doctor did not ask for any blood test.
I am writing to get a second opinion whether the diagnosis is correct. If so then why it is coming back. What she should do, or is there any proper treatment and how long it should take to cure.
Posted Sat, 31 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Lichen sclerosis is mostly a clinical diagnosis, but when in doubt we can always perform a biopsy of the lesion. In fact a biopsy is a good test as it can help rule out ominous causes of such white spots.

If she can describe the white spots present or if she can upload a photo of the lesion, I will be better able to help. White spots can also be due to a simple fungal infection, in which case a topical anti-fungal like clotrimazole or miconazole is good enough.

If it is Lichen sclerosis then treatment of choice is to apply a high potency steroid like Clobetasol. Clobetasol is one of the components of propyzole-nf that she is taking. In my experience it does keep coming back after discontinuing treatment. Thus long-term treatment is usually required. Also repeat biopsies are advisable since 4% of Lichen sclerosis may develop into squamous cell cancer.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor