Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
127 Doctors are Online

Noticed white line on cheek of a child. What should be done for cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 345 Questions
I have a son that is turning 2 in a weeks time. Yesterday we noticed that he has a straight white line on his left cheek that was not there before. It looks like the skin is supposed to be reddish there, but that line stays white, and does not change in color. What can this be
Posted Tue, 25 Dec 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Kruti 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I will be glad to be of assistance.

I was able to view the picture sent. This could most likely be pityriasis XXXXXXX It's an eczema that is seen most commonly in children.

It's self resolving and usually doesn't require any treatment. You could apply a moisturizer like Vaseline petroleum jelly twice a day on it. Cortisone cream application on it once a day for five days can fasten the recovery process.

It will resolve slowly over a couple of weeks. Therefore you need not worry.

Hope my recommendations are helpful to you. Please let me know if I can address any other concerns for you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed white line on cheek of a child. What should be done for cure? 1 hour later
Thank you for the reply.

Eczema is something that itches, but this on this cheek does not look like it bothers him, it looks like it does not itch? Sorry I do not want to question your judgement, I just did not give you this detail.
Answered by Dr. Kruti 18 minutes later

Thanks for your reply.

I value the information you have provided. However Pityriasis XXXXXXX does not itch.

You are right about eczema being itchy, but Pityriasis XXXXXXX is not itchy...

I suggest that you try the advised treatment and please let me know in ten days' time as to how it is. In case the line starts extending instead of improving in a week, I would suggest you have your dermatologist to look at it.

Hope this helps. Let me know you have any other doubts.
If you do not have any other concerns, please close this discussion. I will appreciate your feedback about this service.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor