Noticed white discoloration on roof of mouth. Is this normal?

Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Question: I am a 28 year old healthy male. I have a question regarding the roof of my mouth. I noticed a few months ago that the roof of my mouth is a little whiter than the Rt of my mouth. is this normal? I know some people just have whiter tongues and mouths than others. or does this signify something? I did have oral thrush about 6 months ago from some antibiotic usage. but I have been heavily treated for that. photo attached. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us,

White discoloration of mucosal lining of the roof of mouth is associated with a few conditions. We will need to rule each of those conditions.

I was able to view the picture sent. It does not show any eruptions or lesions, therefore it is most likely benign and not very concerning. I will consider oral thrush as a close possibility based on your past history. Though you have been extensively treated, remissions do occur in many cases.

It is advisable to you follow up with your dentist. He/she can study the scrapings from the mouth roof under the microscope to confirm the possibility. Treatment can be planned accordingly.

In the interim, I advise you to maintain proper oral hygiene and use antibacterial mouth wash (twice/day) to avoid accumulation of bacteria in the concerned area. You did not mention if you smoke or drink alcohol - both these can affect the oral cavity.

I hope this answer was useful; Feel free to post further queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 1 hour later
Thank you doctor. I do not smoke or drink at all, ever. I live a very healthy lifestyle.

I also had a full STD profile done recently that is completely clean.

I have a couple more inquiries.

1. Could you kindly list the most common things this white roof of my mouth could be as a result from?
2. Is it just a possibility my mouth is naturally this color and nothing is wrong?
Answered by Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back,

I am glad to hear that you live a healthy life. Please continue.

I would definitely like to provide you with certain factors which can be linked to white discoloration on the roof of your mouth,
1) Throat infection (antibiotics),
2) Dietary deficiency,
3) Ingesting lead unknowingly (in your water supply)
4) Even some medicines like pepto bismol (for digestion) can discolor the palate gray; similarly other drugs containing silver in some percentage can cause similar discoloration.

We cannot be assured if it's a normal variation without microscopic examination.

Do not worry, kindly see you dentist and get the test done. Vitamin A containing topical medicament can be prescribed by your dentist and that will take care of the problem.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to post further queries if any,

I wish you good health,