Noticed white and yellow discharge from urethra. What is the cause for bad smell?

Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, ive been having clitoral/uretha discharge for a while now. Everytime i wipe i feel a little discharge come out. i check my panties and guess whats there? White and yellow discharge that smells like strong urine. i went to a urologist he said there werent any problems, but of course i know my body and i know that is it. The smell is so strong, i dont want to walk pass people. What is this?!
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: This could be a UTI or genital infection. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. There are a few tests that I think can help diagnose this problem. I am sure you must have had them before, but, for the current problem, you need a fresh report. Have a Urine DR. This will rule out any UTI ( specially asymptomatic). A UTI can lead to incontinence, so, this must be ruled out. Have a high vaginal & urethral swab test to rule out any ongoing infection, which can then be treated by a specific antibiotic treatment to ease your trouble. Have a pelvic ultrasound, both pre-void & post-void, to exclude any urinary retention. This may also lead to incontinence. Once you get some lab evidence of your symptoms, doctors can suggest you relevant treatment. Alternatively, you may visit a Gynecologist & have a local examination. The doctor may demonstrate your symptoms objectively by performing a cough test on you. Hope I have given you some helpful suggestions. Please write back if you want to discuss this further. Best regards.
Follow up: Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 4 minutes later
Yes, ive tried everything you stated and the doctors say they dont see anything. I'm just so frustrated and do not know what to do from here. It isnt painful, its just annoying and smells pretty bad. Have you ever heard of something like this? i read on another board that it was due to having diabetes. And that once she started insulin it went away. How you feel about that assumption?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: If you have Diabetes, this may have causative role Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your reply. Diabetes increase the incidence of both UTI & vaginal discharge due to infection. But, I feel you are quite young for that, unless you have type one diabetes. Anyway you may resolve this doubt by checking your blood sugar levels both in fasting & 2 hours after breakfast. If these are within normal limits, this can't be the cause. Other controlling sugar levels may do miracles. Sometimes, a small urethral fistula or diverticulum may produce these symptoms. Cystoscopy is a test that can help diagnose this problem. You may request your Urologist for that. Hope you get well soon. Take care.