Noticed visible pulsation in the suprasternal notch. Should I be worried?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my age is 26yr s
i had noticed suprasternal visible pulsation since 1 yr
then in last month in my echo dimension of aortic root is 39 mm rest were within normal limits
past history of smoking for 3 yr now i dont smoke since 1 year
i use to take 180 ml of whisky once in a week even now
cholestrol 219mg/dl, triglyceride 249 mg/dl, HDL 58mg/dl, LDL112 hg/dl
i had monitored my BP for 1 month it was 130-135/80-85

is there any serious concern
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

If clinical examination and ECHO are normal, most likely, there is no cause for concern. Have an X-ray chest also. It may be unfolding of aorta (larger than usual arch) in some people.

It is great indeed that you have stopped smoking. Keep it up.

Hopefully, you could stop whisky also...

HDL is good cholesterol and your level is good.
LDL (bad) cholesterol and Triglyceride are above normal.
Whisky will raise triglyceride.
One has to fast 14 hours before giving the sample –

You need life style changes – diet and exercise.
Exercise at least half an hour a day / at least 5 days a week. You can get enrolled in Gym.
     Diet should be low in fat – especially saturated fats. Avoid butter, cheese, ghee, coconut, palm oil... Olive oil, sunflower oil etc are good... Avoid non-vegetarian food except lean chicken and fish. Reduce eggs to two or less in a week... and so on....
You should consult a dietician / you may need several sessions to master all the nuances.
It has to be a permanent affair and not short term

Repeat the lipids after 2 months. If not controlled, you may need drug – like statin

Wishing speedy normacy
God bless
Good luck

Follow up: Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 15 hours later
sir i have attached a photocopy of report of ECHO
my x XXXXXXX is normal
my aortic root diameter is 39 mm
i am totally worried about this
what precaution i have to take in future
and how much significant this aortic root diameter is?
is it responsible for suprasternal pulsation
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 5 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Do not worry.
The aortic root is the the place just above the valve, close to the heart.
Then, there is ascending aorta, arch and descending
It is the arch that is near the supra-sternal area

The diameter is in upper ranges of normal limits.
It is not the cause of the pulsation
Nothing need be done - repeat ECHO after one year
No precautions need be taken now

All the best