Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Noticed uncomfortable severe pain in abdomen, no blood in urine and stools. Underlying cause?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
Hi - a couple of days ago I noticed a sharp uncomfortable pain in my lower abdomen in the centre whilst sitting up from lying down. I cannot recreate the pain by palpating the area it only is present when I squat down or twist whilst lying down. I have no sickness or other symptoms, no blood in my urine or stools.

The pain is very sharp and painful almost tearing when I push against the area or stretch the area by bending, squatting or twisting

The pain itself is just below my belly button above my pubic area slightly to the right.

Could I have pulled or strained something? Or is this something else?

Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pulled muscle seems most probable.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

If the pain has appeared after some physical activity, pulled abdominal muscle is the most probable reason. Especially if the pain is when you move specific part of your abdomen (just like you have described it). Such pain should be unnoticeable when lying down.
Other possible reason of your pain is abdominal hernia. Especially if you have had any abdominal surgery. Hernia usually gives a lump in the painful area which should be visible when standing and/or coughing.

I suggest you to do not overstrain abdominal muscles (avoid lifting heavy objects) and try Diclophenac 50 mg twice a day (should be taken with Omeprasole 20 mg once a day to protect your stomach). If the pain wont go away in few days, or there is any lump in pain area, you should have abdominal ultrasound done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor