Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed tiny worm in urine. Found red blood cells in urinalysis. Should I consult urologist?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1414 Questions
I have no symptoms but i saw a tiny worm in the toilet bowl when i urinated. i'm not sure if it was already in the bowl before. i also saw this about 2 years ago. when i went for a urinalysis there was red blood cells. should i see a urologist?
i saw this again last week. still not sure if it was already there because it was the same public toilet bowl i used 2 years ago when i saw a tiny worm. if there was indeed from my urine would it have shown in my urinalysis? urinalysis was taken 3 weeks ago as part of my routine check up where they only indicated red blood cells in urine.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 53 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
Live worms passage in urine is not described in the literature.
Live adult worms are passed in the stools of patients infected with intestinal parasites.
However, some LARVAE of worms can be seen under the microscope of urine samples very rarely and THAT TOO IS NOT SEEN WITH THE NAKED EYE.
Given the situation, it seems that it has been in the toilet already from the bowels of person who had already used the toilet.
My suggestion is to observe for more time to see if it happens again at HOME in which case an opinion can be sought.
If urine RBC IS MORE THAN 5 IN NUMBER PER HPF, needs evaluation to look for a cause.
Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor