Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed tiny blood stains coming from penis. Should I be worried?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 1415 Questions
Hi, I'm a 43 years old male. For the past few months I found some small tiny blood stains in my underwear and I'm very sure it came from the my penis. Last year when I first had it, I went to see a urologist and he performed few tests on me (i.e: FEME urine test, cystoscopy, PSA, ultrasound) and he found nothing to be worried. The situation improved after I take a lot of plain water daily. However, this morning it happened again despite I took normail amount of plain water. I also noticed after some exercise, there were few tiny blood spots coming out from my penis. Is there anything that I should worry about?
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Blood in the underpants, as you describe is unlikely from the urine (unlikely from the bladder - because in which case there will be blood mixed with urine and the cause would have been found by now with the tests done already)
So, the blood is coming from the penis head/ foreskin if not circumcised or from the urethra ( inflammation or small stone in the urethra)
Let the doctor look for such causes by physical examination mainly and repeat urethroscopy if necessary.

Wishing you best health,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed tiny blood stains coming from penis. Should I be worried? 10 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt response Dr GS.
Is there a possibility that this is due to lack of plain water intake into my body because I notice if I drink a lot (at least 1.8L daily) this issue is not appearing. Probably why I had it this morning because yesterday I drank a little bit less water. I'd also noticed after I played badminton, the next day I saw the tiny blood in my underware too.

FYI, I circumcised and the last time it happend, my GP made a physical examination to my penis and as I informed you, a cystoscopy was performed on me about a year ago when I complained this situation to my urologist, to which he confirmed nothing to be worried. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 18 minutes later

Welcome back.
Since you are circumcised, it is not form the foreskin.
As you had undergone cystoscopy, the urethral cause is unlikely.
The only possible cause now is the penile head - inflammation/ infection.
If you cant see anything abnormal in that area, there may not anything serious.
But blood due to reduced water intake is not explained by science.
Unless there is abnormality, bleeding is not possible.
Is it from the scrotum/rectum?

Kindly get checked.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed tiny blood stains coming from penis. Should I be worried? 1 hour later
Hi Dr GS,

I'm quite sure it's not from scrotum/rectum because in one occasion, I saw a drop of blood (very light red) coming out from the tip of my penis. Furthermore, the blood spot in the underware is where the head of penis normally touch.

The problem is, my urologist was also saying he doesn't know the cause of this situation and he was saying "nothing of his concern" after he checked me through.

So I'm a bit puzzled when this happen to me. Are there any similar case like me that you've seen?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 27 minutes later

Welcome back.
It is a rare situation.
It is worthwhile repeating a urethro- cystoscopy, if bleeding occurs repeatedly.

Wishing you best health,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor