Noticed tightness in skin on shaft of penis. Having pain and lost skin color. What is the cure?

Dr. Manuel C See IV

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I’m a 55 year old circumcised man. About six months ago I began experiencing erections that were substantially less “robust” than they had been. It wasn’t gradual – it was like someone flipped a switch. On a scale of 1-10 my erections had dropped from a 10 to 6 or 7. I could still orgasm with usual intensity. While I routinely used to wake up with an erection I never do now. Over a gradual period of time the skin on the shaft underneath the head started getting tight when I had an erection. Painfully so when I tried to engage in intercourse. You could see the skin choking off the blood flow. Now in a normal unaroused state it almost appears that I am uncircumcised and its’ a little awkward when I pull it back to urinate. I no longer attempt to achieve an erection. The only other observation I’d comment on is that the skin on the shaft- from below the head to about a third of the way down to the base , the skin is very pale and has lost most of it’s color. It’s otherwise as sensitive to the touch as it seems it has always been. My PCP is on vacation but I’ll see him for a referral when he gets back. In the meantime – any idea what I might be looking at?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Might be suffering from Peyronie's disease. Detailed Answer: Good Day! Thank you for being with healthcare magic! The skin tightness and discoloration you described could be manifestations of Peyronie's disease. The disease is caused by fibrosis or plaques that develop in the penis. The plaques then causes deformities and may inhibit erection of the penis. The cause of the disease is still unclear but there evidence that it could be because of previous trauma to the penis and some has genetic predilection. Although majority still with unknown etiologies without any identifiable risk factors. It is said that it affects 1% of men. Majority is self-limited and will resolve on its own and usually causing mild symptoms. If patients suffer from extreme decease in quality of life because of the disease ( affecting sexual function and psychology) surgery can be done to remove the plaques and restore function. There are some studies drinking Vitamin E may help decrease fibrosis and promote healing. It is still best to see a Urologist to confirm my suspicion about your disease. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Manuel C See IV 51 minutes later
Is Peyronie's disease consistent with the loss of color that I described?
Answered by Dr. Manuel C See IV 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes it becomes hypo-pigmented. Detailed Answer: yes sir the lesions would be white because of the hypo-pigmentation that is usually present in the lesions. I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications at: WWW.WWWW.WW I would gladly help you. Best wishes Regards, Manuel C. See IV, M.D. DPBU