Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Noticed tender nipple and sore bump below nipple. Have high blood pressure. What is going on?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10406 Questions
I am a 55 year old male in good health and about 1 month ago I noticed a tender left nipple and a sore small bump below and under the left nipple. It comes and goes but is noticeable and sometimes moderateely painful. I just had a yearly physical and found out that I have high blood pressure and started taking Lisinopril/hctz for high blood pressure about the same time. I don't know if the two are related. Im very tempted to make an appointment and go back to visit the doctor next week. Any idea what might be happening?
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Sore nipple in males may be due to injury to the breast tissue like by pinching or accident that may cause soreness of breast, infection of the breast is called mastitis, but is rare in males and also associated with swelling and redness, Pain in the underlying muscles or ribs may be mistaken for sore nipples and also abrasion and also rough cloths that you are wearing.
The small bump below the nipple might be due to a superficial skin infection. The anti hypertensives that you have been taking are not likely to cause any such side effect.
You can try to eliminate the soreness by wearing light cotton clothes that will not rub against your nipples. Apply a lubricant like baby oil or any moisturizer over the nipples.
Consulting your physician for a direct examination will be helpful in specific treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor