Noticed tender and fleshy area on back. Could it be caused by a spider bite?

Dr. S K Mishra

Spine Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Infections
Question: My wife has small area on her back, just to right of spine in fleshy area and about midway up which is tender to the touch - could it be caused by a spider bite. There is no swellng or redness though a couple of very tiny spots which you can hardly see. ONe NUrofen takes the tenderness away but it comes back and today the NUrofen not so effective. She had this last year but in a slightly different area of her back.
Answered by Dr. S K Mishra 25 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Given her complaints, I do not think it is result of spider bite. Since there is persistent tenderness (which means it hurts to touch), you should be seeing your general physician so that a proper clinical exam can be done. Depending on the exam findings, appropriate investigations can be done.
Hope that helps
Let me know if you have any more questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli