Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Noticed swollen neck, chest pain, sore throat and difficulty in swallowing. Found subcutaneous emphysema on neck. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
I just found subcutaneous emphysema on the right side of my neck from just below my mastoid process down to the pit posterior to my clavicle. I discovered it about 3 hours ago and now re-checking and palpating it went away for the most part, but I am still feeling the signs and symptoms of swelling of the neck, neck and chest pain, sore throat, and difficulty swallowing. I'm wondering how long it would take for those symptoms to go away.
Also, I'm still not sure as to what the cause of the subcutaneous emphysema was but in taking a guess I might attribute it to my wisdom tooth growing in and occasionally puffing up and tightening my right cheek where the tooth is growing in to partially alleviate the pain by forcing the pressure to stretch the surrounding gums the tooth is breaking through. Is it possible that by doing this, in a Valsalva-like maneuver I can be forcing air through gingival and mucosal lacerations and eventually into the XXXXXXX fascial spaces of my neck? Also, in doing some research I read that subcutaneous emphysema can also be caused by facial fractures. I believe I may possibly have one somewhere around my right coronoid process from an impact sustained earlier in the year. Ever since then, when moving my jaw out anteriorly and moving it from left to right i can feel the difference with the left and right side specifically around my coronoid process. While my left side feels smooth, the right side feels almost as if it is grinding against something.
I'm hoping to get a doctor's opinion on what might possibly be going on, what might have possibly caused it, if i should just sleep it off or seek further medical attention. Do i need antibiotics incase it's a gas-releasing bacteria?Should I go to the ER for the chest pain or is it natural when associated with subcutaneous emphysema? What should I do??
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in to Healthcare Magic!
You should definitely go to ER and consult a physician, get a chest x XXXXXXX CBC and ABG done. How severe is pain, you may need pain killer. The subcutaneous emphysema is also called as surgical emphysema.
It can be caused by injury, procedures, pneumothorax, rupture of bullae in the lungs, facial fracture where it will develop in immediate following period and not after a year time as you are scared.
The troubling tooth also can not cause it.
Strong pressure due to Valsalva can result in a spontaneous bulla and can cause such a problem.
You need a general physical examination and investigation and need to be treated accordingly. You should be proactive because at times the sudden tension pneumothorax can develop[ and becomes life threatening issue.
Gas releasing bacteria thrive on devitalised tissues and I do not believe that is the case here. You can not keep waiting at home with this condition and must go to ER.
If you have any further query please let me know I would try to answer it for you.
Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor