Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Noticed swollen eyelid, there is no redness. Should I go for urgent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10364 Questions
I woke up this morning to my eyelid being swollen shut, there is no rednes, itching, or pumps, however, I have had a bump above my eyelid that retained fluid (maybe a ingrown hair or pimple) for a week nad the area around it is hard as a rock and is sore. Should I go to the urgent care center or keep applying hot compresses?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
It seems that you are having an infected gland on your eyelid. Since your lid is so swollen that your eye is shut, it needs systemic antibiotics and local topical antibiotic drops to control the infection.
Applying the hot compresses will help but it is necessary to consult an ophthalmologist for a thorough examination and proper medications.
Avoid touching, rubbing or staring at the swelling. Staring at the swollen eyelid will only lead to touching and rubbing, so stay out of the mirror and avoid the temptation.
Avoid wearing make-up, including powders and base. Particles can fly through the air and irritate your eyelids even more.
Attending an urgent care center is recommended.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor