Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed swelling on penis tip during erection and sore to touch. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14950 Questions
I am a 21 year old male. Sexually active. Uncircumcised.

The opening of my penis is swollen, like there is a pair of lips at the very opening of the urethra. The swelling seems to increase when I have an erection. I have tried to do some research on the internet but its hard to find any info. The swelling is not very big, but big enough for me to see a difference. Even my girlfriend pointed it out one time when we had sex. It does not hurt, but it seems a little sore. It might feel a little tender right on the opening, but as far as I know it always has.

This first happened after I used a penis pump for like 6 months ago. It has stayed like it since.
I thought it would settle down and dissapear after a couple of days, but it never did. The swelling has gone down from what it was right after I had used the penis pump, but not all the way so the opening is still kinda poofed up. Sometimes it seems to be more poofed up than other times. (especially when erect, but also at other times)

Do you know what this can be? Will it eventually dissapear? I dont think it is XXXXXXX but its bothering me and I would like to find out what I can do about it to hopefully make it like before again. Do you think it would make it worse if I ever used a pump again? Btw, it did not happen after the first time I used the pump, but probalby the 5th or 6th. I did not use the pump more than XXXXXXX 15 minutes.
I have also had swellings on my forskin after using a pump (earlier), but they would dissapear after a day.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

The penis pump likely caused minor injury to head of the penis which resulted in the swelling.
During an erection, the increased size may put pressure on the tissues which would result in the swelling increasing in size.

It would likely be aggravated by repeated use of the pump and resolution would be faster if you hold off using it.
You can try using an anti inflammatory agent such as cataflam or ibuprofen to speed recovery.

There are other agents that may be used for ED in the mean time- example viagra, cialis, levitra

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed swelling on penis tip during erection and sore to touch. How to get relief? 43 minutes later
Thanks for quick answer!

I stopped using the pump in July actually. Havent used it once after that.

How long do you think recovery will take if I use one of the agents you suggest? I know you cant say how many days, but how long should I use something like that before I know that it doesnt help the problem? A month? 3 months?

When talking about an anti inflammatory agent, could an ointment with antibiotics in it work? or should I keep that away from the opening off the urethra?

Do you have any links to the agents you are suggesting?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 11 hours later

You can use one of them for at least 2 weeks. They should be available over the counter, ibuprofen is also known an advil.
Combining the oral agent with an antibiotic cream may improve the rate of resolution so you can certainly do that.

Feel free to ask anything else
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed swelling on penis tip during erection and sore to touch. How to get relief? 29 hours later
Thank you very much

I will try this to see if it works and provide some feedback in a a couple of months.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 5 hours later
Ok, good luck
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor