Noticed swelling on lips. Cold sore or fever buster?

Dr. Kruti

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yesterday evening, after coming from two store runs my top lip started to swell in one area. (Right next to the center line of the top lip) I have never had any swelling problems or infections on my lips so I am going into a panic thinking this is a cold sore or fever buster. Which I have never had in the past nor does anyone in my family. I have a husband and two sons that are not experiencing any issues with their lips. But I am afraid because I have a one year old and I dont want to spread anything to him. It has just become cold where I am and about 2 days before yesterday (thursday) I was caught in a really bad sand storm and my lips were dried and cracked beyond belief. I have been trying to keep the moisturized since then and now this I am so scared. I dont feel any pain or discomfort from the line. It is red and slightly swollen. No blood is present. If anyone could give me some advice that would be great. I upload a photo of the line in my photos
Answered by Dr. Kruti 2 hours later
Hello

I will be glad to be of assistance.

I can understand your concern.

the photo you sent was very useful. You have a condition referred to as angioedema. In this condition the lips swell up due either an allergy or at times the cause is not known. Sometimes it is accompanied by hives.

The condition takes a couple of days to settle down.

However its important to treat it immediately because it can progress to your face or into your nose or throat, it can cause breathlessness and difficulty in swallowing.

The treatment would be a high strength anti histaminic.

I would recommend you to visit your doctor as son as possible and get a prescription for it.

This will help resolve the swelling.

Hope my recommendations are helpful.

Please let me know if I can address any additional concerns for you.

Regards.