Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Noticed swelling and stiffness under ear and below the joint of the jaw. What to do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1964
Answered : 246 Questions
I woke up this morning with a swelling under my right ear and below the joint of the right jaw. If I apply a heat compress the swelling goes down. When I open my jaw my jaw feels stiff the joint on the right feels stiff
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

It appears that you may have an inflamed right parotid gland in response to acute parotitis or mumps. Your description fits well to this condition.

This condition is a self healing one and will settle down by itself. You may take some pain killer like aspirin or paracetamol. As the cause is usually a virus antibiotics got no effect on this condition.

Though this appears like a typical case, I encourage you to consult your nearest doctor to examine and confirm the possibility. Yet, there is no reason to be concerned.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Kindest regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor