Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

186 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed swelling and scars on forehead of an infant. What should be done to remove these marks?

Answered by
Dr. G.Srinivasan


Practicing since :1991

Answered : 1414 Questions

Posted on Mon, 24 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi
I have 27 days old baby boy,initially there was no scar on his face.but lately on his forehead there is a small 1/2 an inch triangular red XXXXXXX with swollen circular surrounding around it.the red XXXXXXX had popped up the very first week of his birth.but the swelling has been there for the last one week.the XXXXXXX hasn't increased or decreased in the last 3.5 a precaution i showed the XXXXXXX to a peadiatrician and she said the red XXXXXXX is due to cluster of blood vessels formed and will go with time and the swelling is because one of the vessels got this analysis fine? is it likely to grow in future,?by when will the swelling subside around the red mark?is there anyway that I can get rid of the red mark?can I take some precautionary step in order to stop it from growing?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts to upload the photo, it is little blurred though, probably due to the close shot.
Her analysis seems to be correct.
These are called hemangiomas and it depends on the type whether it will disappear or progress.
Only time can say and urgent treatment is not recommended.
There is nothing you can do to stop growing except to see to that he does not get hurt in that area.
Wishing him good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 47 minutes later
Thanks for a speedy revert.i want to know is there a treatment for it?if yes what is it and at what age can we get it done?the XXXXXXX hasnt grown till now,is it likely to grow in future?is there any home remedy for the mark?upto what size at XXXXXXX can the XXXXXXX grow?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 58 minutes later
Welcome back.
It requires a surgical procedure, usually by a plastic surgeon, to get it removed. Depending on the defect found after removal, skin flap needs to be planned at the same setting.
It is usually not done at this age as there is high chance of regression.
There is no home remedy, unfortunately.
It may grow or regress and so waiting till he is one year is advisable.
Wishing him good health


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Hemangioma

doctor1 MD

Hello. I recently had a CT bc I felt something on my liver. It turned out to be a hemangioma. In the report it also mentions a subcentimeter parenchymal cyst in my right kidney. No one even mentioned it. Does that mean it isnĀ“t important_ I have never had a kidney cyst before.

doctor1 MD

Brown spot on the roof of my mouth

doctor1 MD

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX I've got a question for you regarding a bright area on an MRI . I'm curious if this is a blood vessel or an artifact. One radiologist said it was an artifact (a pulsation artifact) but I'm curious as to your opinion. You can also...

doctor1 MD

I am curious about this MRI . I was told that it was normal with the exception of two hemangiomas on T5 and L2. My question is specifically in series 10, image 53. There is a lighter area in the vertebrae that looks like blood vessels. I was told...

doctor1 MD

Hi, my newborn has a little red spot on the tip of her tongue, which looks like hemangioma but has not grown so far (she is 1 month old). I noticed it on the second day of her birth. Is it possible that she has hemangioma there and if yes what are the consequences?

doctor1 MD

hi, this is raghavendra my baby she born on 31st aug 2010 in sringeri has got capillary hemangioma just below her right eye, beside of right nose it appeared 11th day after her birth and grown in to 1 rupee coin size and now she is 6 month old it is not growing pediatric said that wil go by its own as baby grows but it is near the eye so am worred it wil cause any problem in her eye sight or visions please let me know when should it be treated and what are the types of diagonosis or treatments should be done at certain age please mail me at YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am a male, 34 years old, I am diagnosed by CT Scan with Hemangioma Left side, . Since last one and half month I am suffering from loose motion, slight abdiminal pain, gas and burning in the stomach and during motion. My question is about the treatment option and if there is any risk in the long run. Is this stomach disorder is due to this hemangioma? please advise. My height is 5 fit 8 inch