Noticed swelling and pimples on labia. What should I do to get rid of this?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: About 3 days ago I found that my right labia was more swollen and it was rubbing on my skin like à fat person then yesterday I found out I had like a white yellowish pimple on top of that labia what gave my labia a strange form and it was hurting.
I put some Vaseline and hot water and took 3 benadryl.
Today i didn't hurt anymore but it's still there and diformed .
I am very clean and I don't have sex for the last 6 months my husband has prostate cancer.
I did put 3,times a very tight jeans with no underwear .
I am 56 and never had this before. What can I do before I start to spend money to see a doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Firstly examination is very important here.There are various different kinds of swellings and only an examination can differentiate them. If the labia is swollen it could be cystic in nature like a Bartholin's cyst or Gartners cyst.But a confirmed diagnosis can only be made upon examination. Whether it requires excision,will also depend upon the diagnosis.If its not too large,sit in a tub of hot water twice a day.But of there is any pain,discharge etc,you will need antibiotics and surgery.These cysts have a tendency to recur so i suggest that you do see a doctor.