Noticed swelling and discoloration on foot. Reason?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: The outter side of my left foot has been swollen for over a week and has now turned purple.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The swelling on your foot seems to be due to an inflammation in the area. Since there is no history of injury, other causes that need to be ruled out are cellulitis, congestive heart failure, kidney disease, arthritis, high altitude, high salt intake and any blood clot in the veins causing DVT.
A physician consultation is recommended for proper evaluation.
You can follow these lifestyle measures to alleviate the symptoms:
1) Increase muscle activity with walking, avoid standing in place for long periods of time and avoid sitting with the feet dependent.
2) Limit salt intake and stop taking any laxatives (if you are taking them).
3) Elevate the legs when sitting and wear leg wedges while sleeping, support socks and proper fitting shoes and socks.
4) Keep your fluid intake adequate by taking plenty of fluids.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.