Noticed strange painful marks on foot. Should I be worried about STD?

Dr. Praveen Rodrigues

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 14 Dec 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I have a strange XXXXXXX on the ball of my foot. it is about 1.5-2 inches in diameter and just developed yesterday. There is a mild pain when touched, and i could feel it before i took off my shoe. The sock i was wearing was quite thin so i though maybe this was friction induced, but i had been reading about some STD literally the same day that mentioned marks n the soles of feet as an symptom, so now i am officially freaked out. It is only one one foot, and there is nothing on the palms of my hands.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.
Have been a Dermatologist & Venereal specialist for over 15 years post MD now & assure you, there is no chance this can be an STD. Please dont always believe what you read at least where medicine is concerned. It is good to be informed & 'on the ball' so to speak but the 'ball of your foot' is most likely a tiny traumatic blister or hematoma. It needs to be looked at on the ground by a dermatologist or even a GP yes & possible some tiny local intervention to relieve the pain together with an oral anti-inflammatory agent like ibuprofen...but NO it is not an STD especially if only on one foot!
Do take care & hope the pain is relieved soon; hope i have convinced you it is NOT an STD & allayed those fears & do close this query if done & give us a healthy review if you felt it helped you make an informed deciscion in quick time & gave you a sense of closure too ;-)
Cheers & Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD