Noticed spotting after sex. Is this sign of pregnancy?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi my question is about my menstual cycle...well i have a regular cycle it comes exactly every 28 days...so i had a cycle on sept 11th it ended on sept18th which is normal for me..my husband and i had sex on the 23rd and i had red spotting the following morning of the 24th lasted the day but only when i went to pee ..thr was no need for a pad or tampon..and it was completly gone on the 25th....was this a sign of pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding may be due to implantation of ovum.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Yes,it may be due to pregnancy caused by implantation of ovum.
But it may also be due to variety of other reasons like hormonal disturbances,hypothyroidism,stress,infection,trauma etc.
So,pregnancy should be confirmed by other means.It includes urine pregnancy test,ultrasound of pelvis if you have missed period.
Besides this other physical symptoms of pregnancy should be correlated.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 15 hours later
thank you for the answer..if that was an implantation when would i have gotten a positive result because i took one when my period should of arrived on oct 9th and it was negative
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Period in october month suggests no pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX
Sorry for replying late

You don't have missed period.so,you shouldn't worry at all.
Your last period was on 9th october and you did intercourse on 23rd september.so,there is no confusion and there is no chance of pregnancy.
Period suggests that ovum is not fertilized.
You don't need any test further.
Period also suggests that previous spotting was not implantation bleeding.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 2 days later
umm actually my period was on sept 9th, and it turns out i am pregnant and my last question is .....in what time frame did i get pregnant because the spotting on the 24th of sept confuses me...according to my doctor i concieved on the 3rd of october....so that part really confuses me.....my husband and i also had intercourse on the 29thof sept...i would jus like to know when my conception was...thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Conception likely occured on 03 October 2013

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.
Congratulations on getting pregnant.

Conception can occur upto 4-5 days after sex. Pregnancy test is positive when done 15 days after sex. In your case the earlier pregnancy test (09 October 2013) might have been negative as it was not yet 15 days after sex (29 September 2013). However a recent pregnancy test has given positive results and that confirms your pregnancy.

The sperms are in a living state in the female genital tract for upto 5 days after sexual intercourse. Therefore your doctor has said that conception occurred on 03 October 2013.

Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX