Noticed spots on labia minora. Do pap smears detect genital warts?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I recently went to the Dr. last month and I had a pap smear done and everything came back negative but I was wanting to know if having a pap smear done can determine if I have genital warts because I have noticed some with spots on my labia minora not sure if its Fordyce spots or something else I have no pain and they don't bother me until I started messing with it not sure what it could be.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

The pap smear is looking for the effect that HPV has on the cervix in terms of causing pre-cancerous changes. There are many "types" of HPV, and the types that cause genital warts are not the same "types" that cause the problems with the cervix in most cases.

You might have some small genital warts. This is not a reason to panic and can easily be diagnosed by your OB/GYN on exam. If there is any confusion, one of them can be biospied and sent for a definitive answer.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions!
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 24 minutes later
how can I tell if they are warts?
Also my ex said that he had a big wart on his hand about a few years ago he cut it off himself but I was wondering if he can still give me genital warts to me even though it was so long ago
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 13 hours later
First of all, I am sorry about the delay. Thank you for the followup question.

Genital warts can be very small, and these small ones often appear like miniature skin-tags, but if you look closely, the surface is irregular like the head of a broccoli.

HPV has many types. The ones that cause warts on the hands and feet are not the same ones that cause genital warts - so no, I do not think that you got it from his hand.
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 33 hours later
Thank you so much I feel a lot better now that I went to the Dr. and she did a pelvic exam and said that I have nothing at all so I am very much relieved .
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
It was my pleasure - I am glad that you were seen and reassured!!