Noticed sore bruise behind both knees. What is the cause and cure?

Dr. Aparna Kohli

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I woke up with bruising behind both knees. Both bruises are vertical bruising, feels sore and bruised but not aching or painful otherwise. What caused this?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.
The bruising could have been caused by several things like trauma (minor as well which could have gone unnoticed), liver issues, thrombocytopenia (low platelet count which itself can arise due to several reasons) etc.
Since you have been drinking heavily, the first step here would be to get you to a physician who can order some tests like a liver function test, a prothrombin time (PT), and a complete blood count.
If these tests are normal, we could conclude that this is due to minor trauma (which can cause bruising as we age since the skin gets thinner as we age).
Of course, we do understand that heavy drinking needs to be discontinued since it not only harms your mind and body but also worsens other problems.
You may want to seek help with counseling groups or see a therapist to find a better, healthier way of solving your issues.
Hope that helps