Noticed small red line on finger. Used antibiotic ointment. Should I get a tetanus shot?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Infections
Question: I just noticed a small red line on my finger. I couldn't tell at first if it was a cut or a splinter. As I messed with it I noticed it was a tiny cut with an already formed scab. I picked the scab off while trying to be sure it wasn't a splinter and then I washed it with soap and running water, put on antibiotic ointment, and a bandaid. It is slightly alarming that I'm not really sure how, when, or where the cut happened. It looks as if it was probably a paper cut or from my skin being dry from washing often. I haven't been messing with dirt or anything really dirty besides the usual everyday things (grocery shopping, etc.) Is tetanus something I should be concerned with with this? I have not had a booster in over 10 years because I am sensitive to vaccines and have had reactions in the past. Is this XXXXXXX enough of a situation to require me to have a tetanus booster immediately?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 14 minutes later
Hi, thanks for your query. I read your query and I understand your concerns.

It is advisable to get a shot of injection Tetanus Toxoid vaccine. This is important for not only the present injury but also future injury.

Since you are worried about allergy, please share with your physician who will give small test dose of injection before giving full dose just to test for allergy. The physician will take all precautions against allergy.

I hope I answered your query.
Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 36 minutes later
Is it important that I go to the emergency room to get one now late at night or can I wait until the morning?
Also I have a cold or virus right now, would that matter?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi, the cold or viral infection would not matter. No need to go to ER. Go comfortably in the morning. Be relaxed.

Regards, Dr. Mahesh Koregol