Noticed small red blotches within pubic hair. Worrisome

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I am a male and today noticed 4 small red blotches within my pubic hair. Each is approx. 3 mm in diameter, is not raised, are not itchy and do not have a 'pimple' type head. Each does not have a hair follicle growing out of the red blotch area. They do not ooze or form a lesion.

I have had them before but normally only 1 or 2, and they go away after 2-3 days. I have been recently tested for STD's and received a clean XXXXXXX of health. My female partner has also been tested as nil STD's. These blotches have commenced to appear since my test and after my partner and I commenced an active sex life.

I trim my pubic hair but do not shave.

Regards, Wondering
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
From the symptoms that you have described, these bumps sound like small irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis or clogged pores. Folliculitis starts when hair follicles are damaged by friction from clothing or blockage of the follicle.

As far as the treatment is concerned, apply warm compresses and keep the area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also avoid wearing tight fitting clothes and wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and underwear. Wash the area well with an antibacterial soap or mild soap like dove. Avoid any kind of cosmetics. Topical antibiotics such as Neosporin are also useful.
In case, the bumps turn painful or causes open sores, Herpes should be ruled out. Till then wear cotton clothes and try not to irritate the bumps.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

As mentioned in my original message, the blotches are not raised, i.e. they are not bumps. There are no hair follicles growing out of each blotched area.

They are red in the centre migrating towards pink at the edges before natural skin colour commences.

They are not itchy, nor do they form a lesion or ooze.

Is it necessary for a hair follicle to be growing in the affected area ? Once again, they are not bumps nor raised in any way.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Even if the lesions are not raised and there is no visible hair follicle, the most likely cause of such lesions is an infected hair follicle or a blocked gland.
You can do a hot fomentation and apply a local antiseptic ointment like neosporin and see if there is any improvement over next 4-5 days.
In case the lesions become bigger or show a discharge then a direct examination by a dermatologist will help in proper diagnosis and prescription medicines.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.