Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

167 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed small raised itchy bump on back and shoulder. What it could be?

Answered by
Dr. Anil Grover


Practicing since :1981

Answered : 922 Questions

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: Hi.
I am a 43 year old female. Yesterday I noticed a small (less than 1 inch) raised and bumpy area on my back - upper area of my left shoulder. It itched. Today it stopped itching, but it has increased in size to about 2 inches and is more swollen. Today there is also a lump under the skin on the left upper part of my neck which is burning hot, swollen, and painful - it feels like a small lymph node. I am wondering what this could be.
I have a ton of severe skin allergies - adhesive of any kind (like on bandaids and paper tape), cold urticaria, neosporin,and several others. I am allergic to Sulfa drugs. I stopped nursing my fourth son 3 weeks ago, he is almost 8 months old.
I am taking the following medications: Glucophage (pre-diabetes), Diovan (HBP), Wellbutrin (Mild Depression)

I have never had this type of single welt before, nor have I ever found a swollen lump anywhere.
Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified medical specialist with an additional degree in Cardiology. I read your question with diligence.
If any of these 4 signs are present you ought to see a doctor as soon as possible for it may be localized infection (possibly involving root of hair) which can lead to complications unless treated:
1. Swelling which increases in size (you have this!)
2. Warmth over the swelling as compared to surrounding area
3. Redness over the swelling (you can use mirror or have someone look)
4. Throbbing sensation in the area of lesion
Therefore, I will urge you to see a doctor on semi urgent basis if it is late in the day please visit an emergency room. For at this stage treatment will be simple. Good Luck.
If you have any more followup question, I will be only too happy to answer.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
Cardiologist & Medical Specialist
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Drug/Medication ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Urticaria

doctor1 MD

My shin is burning from the inside,my skin is burning from inside out was all over me.From waist down.See over 50 dr s.Everyone is boggled.Allergists,derm,medicine,rhematology.etc...I have been on remicade,sulu cortef.I am on 3 vials ev/6wks.Recently been off a month.To see if it was that.Came back.Had a biopsy,mri,all cultures.It is hives that start on my bum always then spread down one leg then the other starts,turns purplish/bruised/goes away.My skin peels and I feel literally crazy,fevers,dizzy,itchy,forgetful my speech was off.Now I am limping with it mostly contained in my lower left leg now.It was as red as red.I have crohns.Also on depo provera and sulucortef.All I can do is ice it and take morphine and advil.Nothing is helping.Can t walk.Need some advice.

doctor1 MD

Hi, my OB?GYN prescribed Medroxypr AC 10 mg, to me a month ago, the uterus lining is to thick , I had heavy bleeding for 4 mo. straight , he did a Dand C first, then started me on this , after I had the surgery I started with staph on my foot, then I had to start the progesterones on the 24th for 10 days, after the 2nd day I developed a itchy red rash very severe under my breasts, and hives on my face and chest,. We my family Dr. assumed it was a reaction from the sulfa I was taking for the staph. I had finally cleared up the breast rash, and yesterday started back on the pregesterone for another 10 days. This morning I awoke with the same severe rash in the same spot and my tongue and throat feel tingly and hoarse. I am thinking now this is a reaction from the Medroxypr. Could I be right and should I stop taking it. My DR. is on vacation

doctor1 MD

My friend developed rashes on her skin, which was diagnosed as Papular Urticaria by the dermatologist, caused by tick bites. He prescribed Propygenta NF cream, but when she applies the cream on the rashes, the itching increases. Please help. Regards, Sriram

doctor1 MD

My 3-year-old son has been waking up with hives occasionally for over 5 months now. We ve taken him to an allergist as well as regular visits to his pediatrician. No cause has been determined, but in doing his blood work, his AST liver enzyme continues to come back as slightly elevated. It has been at 73, 62 and lastly 63. The pediatrician has advised us to wait 6 to 9 months to repeat the test and see if the AST enzyme is back in range. Waiting that long makes me nervous and I m looking for some reassurance that this is not reasons to persue the situation immediately. Also, is more likely that the hives are a cause or reaction to what is contributing to the elevated liver enzyme? Thank you for your time.

doctor1 MD

Hi Sir, My name is XXXX. last two weeks on words i am suffering from itching in hole body . after the itching the skin came full reddish .. Three days back i consulted general physician and he gave me to NIXITRAL 100MG AND Dorebar Rabeprazole...

doctor1 MD

My daughter has bumps on her legs we have just noticed. It started out as just one or two and has steadily increased. They are raised and slightly itchy.

doctor1 MD