Noticed small mushy bump on lower leg. What could be the cause and cure?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: small mushy bump on lower leg (pea sized) left side of calve, my wife just noticed it tonight. it flattens out if a push on it, if I flex my foot upward it forms a small depression. age 40, wt 245, I run 5 days a week and lift weights (heavy) 4 days a week
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
You have noticed a painless lump which is the size of a pea under the skin of your calf.
There are many possible causes for it which include:
• Skin cysts
• Cherryangioma
• Dermatofibromas
• Epidermoid cysts
• Folliculitis
• Keratoacanthoma
Keratosis pilaris
• Lipomas
• Neurofibromas.

Lumps can be caused by any number of conditions, including infections, inflammation, tumors and trauma. Depending on the cause, lumps may be single or multiple, soft or firm, painful or painless. They may grow rapidly or may not change in size.
Lumps due to infectious causes in or near your leg may appear as boils or abscesses.

There is a probability it might be a Lipoma. Lipoma is a lump or mass that is made up of fat cells (adipocytes). Lipomas are a common, benign (noncancerous) type of slow-growing tumor. They most often develop just under the skin in the subcutaneous tissue, located beneath the skin and above the muscle.

There are rare causes, it could be due to malignant tumors of the skin, soft tissues, or bones can appear as lumps on the thigh. In these cases, either a biopsy or surgical removal of the lump can determine whether cancer is present.
You can self monitor it for any change in size, color, pain or tenderness in which case an immediate medical attention is needed.
Do not worry, it is highly unlikely to be malignant.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
It is on my lower leg, could it be caused by running, it is about pea sized, how big would be worrisome
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The pea sized lump is not likely to be related to running or any exercise. If there is a sudden increase in its size or it becomes painful and red, the you need to get it examined from your physician. Size of the lump does not matter as long as there is no sudden increase in the size.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.