Noticed small lump in breast. Expecting periods. What could have caused lump?

Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 4 Dec 2013 in Breast Cancer
Question: My 18 year old daughter just found a lump about the size of a marble in her right breast. She is understandably very concerned because I (her mother) am XXXXXXX II positive. She is expecting her period any day, and has never noticed this lump before. Please advise.
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get her examined by an expert. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting us. Most lumps in girls of her age are benign, but your concerns are right due to your family history. I suggest that you wait for her periods, as sometimes due to fluid retention in the premenstrual phase, such problems arise, as breast become more glandular & nodular. If this persist after her periods, go to your doctor for confirmation & necessary investigation. As God forbid, if it turns out to be a malignant tumor, early treatment is conservative & curative. I appreciate that your daughter is conducting self examination, & I hope she will continue to do it on regular basis. Wish you & your daughter good health & happy life. Best of luck. Hope