Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Noticed small growth on scrotum. Ultrasound showed nothing serious. Can this be a cyst?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 527 Questions
I recently visited my doctor for a yearly physical exam. I told him of a small growth I could feel on my scrotum (smaller than a pea). He examined me and said it was nothing to worry about. I'm wondering if I should see a dermatologist and have it removed or if it is not necessary. I've had it for quite a while as I had been seen in the ER a few years ago regarding this matter. They did an ultrasound and also told me nothing to worry about. I just don't understand what it is (a cyst?). I tried squeezing it to see if I could drain it but it is hard. Wondering should I see a dermatologist and have it removed.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely benign

Detailed Answer:

I only wish there were some more details so I could have been more specific. But broadly, there are two kinds of lesions that we encounter commonly when someone presents with swellings in scrotum.

1) Lesions which arise from skin, which indeed are quite commonly scrotal sebaceous cysts . Sebaceous cyst contain toothpaste like material and usually do not cause trouble unless infected or very large and unsightly. It needs to be removed only on those occasions.
2) Lesions from structures surrounding testes such as epididymis which is the conduit for sperms after their production from testes. Cysts of epididymis again are extremely common in general population (and you can make out that they actually do not have connection to the loose scrotal skin above). Unless they are contributing to pain, or get infected, we do not recommend treatment for them.

There are other lesions, but they are rare. The one truly important lesion that we worry about would be a testicular tumor, but if it were present, the scan would have usually picked it up.

In your case considering that an ultrasound scan has been done, it is more likely to be an epididymal cyst. If you are concerned about it, I suggest you consult a Urologist who will be well versed with these lesions and discuss further about it.

Hope I have been able to help you. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor