Noticed small black worm after urination. Concerned

Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I just went to the bathroom and when i turned to flush i noticed a small black worm and am concerned it cane out through my urine. I am in complete panic...!
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

First, if you are certain that the worms did come from your urine - then there is a strong possibility that some nematodal worms may have been infested in your body. The diagnosis would depend on microscopic examination of the worm itself and clinical symptoms that you may or may not manifest.

Second, you need a thorough clinical examination to see the entire organs that might have been affected, as these nematodal infections are notoriously known to migrate internally and cause spread.

Precisely, 2 worms called - Schistosoma and another Ascaris are supposedly black in color that may be closest to your complaints right now.

Treatment would depend on the worm diagnosed - drugs are given for specific period of therapy along with close contacts of yours for effective treatment.

There is no need of panic, as these are well curable if promptly given medical care.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.