Noticed slight yellow color on the baby's body. Is this harmful?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Child Health
Question: my 16 days old babys body has slight yellow. After the delivery the doctor give her thototherapy. At the time of dischargin from hospital the bilirubin rate was 8.1.
How can I find out now her liver is ok & yellow is going down
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The slight yellow tinge on the baby's body is harmless and this will take around 3-4 weeks to subside completely. After phototherapy, if the baby's bilirubin was 8.1 then it is likely to subside to near normal levels in 2-3 weeks. You can confirm this by getting her blood bilirubin levels assessment.
If the yellow discoloration has receded from her palms and soles then it is likely that she is recovering well. Please do not worry.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.