Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Noticed skin growth on butt crack of one year baby. What should I do?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
my child is 1 yr and 4 months old. from last 3-4 months I am seeing some skin growth in her butt crack; previously it was quite small so i didn't notice it much but now I see sudden growth.... seems like cyst but still i am not sure, its painless for now, also I want to know do diapering to baby is adding to it. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 1 hour later
Thank you for posting a query.

Firstly, I have seen the pictures of that lesions. Very bad focussing. Pictures are blurred.

Still, I think the lesions are small, cystic, may be bullous lesion. Now, at that particular area, some congenital cysts can be found. They should be ruled out first.

Another possibility is hemangioma. These are benign lesions of blood vessels. From the picture my opinion is more in favor of this.

So, to give a definite diagnosis you have to visit a pediatric surgeon for clinical examination and to find out its nature. If these are just benign hemangiomas, you have no reason to worry. Just wait for 2 to 3 years. If the lesion does not disappear spontaneously, or it gets larger day by day , then only surgical excision is required. In our clinical experience, the lesions are disappeared spontaneously in many cases.

Use of diapers cannot lead to this type of conditions.

So, for right now, just make an appointment with a pediatric surgeon for clinical examination, for ordering required investigation and also for further management accordingly.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed skin growth on butt crack of one year baby. What should I do? 10 hours later
Thanks for your valuable advice. I am really sorry about the pictures however this is due to website size acceptance for pictures I was not able to send good quality pics however now I have send pictures @ YYYY@YYYY as suggested by their customer care.Please review it once more.

Also I have already been to 3-4 docs but till now didnt find satisfactory answer. Pediatric suggested skin specialst and skin doc does know what excatly the problem. However she said seems infection or bacterial growth.

I am quite new to hyderabad if possible please suggest doctor.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 3 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Now, the pictures are good.

After viewing the pictures several times, I think, the lesion is either a vesicobullous lesion of skin may be due to infection by bacterial or viral agents, or a rare variety of hemangioma occuring in skin giving rise to this type of lesion. A biopsy taken from these lesions can give us a definite idea about what it is. This type of skin biopsy should be done by a dermatologist.

I can understand your situation. But, you have to keep patience.

I cannot recommend any particular doctor or clinic here. You should go to any tertiary care hospital / medical college. There you can consult with multiple specialities at a place. But, specifically, you should consult a dermatologist first.

Hope, you have your answers.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor