Noticed skin growth at the entrance of anus. What could it be?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: i have skin hanging on outside of entrance to my anus long and narrow what could it be close to my leg
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your query
The following conditions are possible for you based on your description
1. Anal skin tags - these are normal anatomical variants, and do not require specific treatment, unless you want removal for cosmetic purpose, which is easily done
2. Sentinel skin tag - This is crumpled up skin tissue which lies directly underneath an anal fissure. The fissure would cause painful defecation and sometimes, blood smeared stools.
3. Small peri anal polyp - especially considering your previous history of bowel polyps
4. Anal warts might present in this way

To make an exact and specific diagnosis, you should get yourself examined by your physician.
Let me know if you have any questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli