Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Noticed sand like particles in ejaculate. What are the complications?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10196 Questions
I ejaculated today and there were sand like particles in my ejaculate. Never heard of that before. There was a little discomfort earlier today when I urinated.
Posted Thu, 8 Nov 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It may be prostatic concretions which are basically concentrations of prostatic secretions that also contain calcium carbonate and phosphate.It is often associated with inflammation/infection of the prostate.
Prostatic concretions are more commonly seen in men older than you are, in most cases.
The concretions themselves may not require treatment but if inflammation/infection of the prostate (it is accompained by painful urination- you may be in the early phase)is present then antibiotic treatment is necessary.

It would be best, if possible, for you to visit your doctor. A sample of the ejaculate should be carried to allow it to be examined which would allow for a definative diagnosis.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor