Noticed redness on penis with no pain. What could be causing this?

Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Penis Problems
Question: Today, when I went to the restroom at 12 at noon, I noticed that there is a very small red area on my penis. It was located close to the top, but under the purple part. At the beginning of the day, when I went to the restroom at 8 AM everything was okay. I went to the restroom again at 12 at noon and then I noticed it. But then at 2pm, everything was okay again (could be that it was still a little bit red but if it was then it wasn't really visible). It didn't hurt and it wasn't sensitive. It is the first time it happened. I might have to mention that it was a very cold day, much colder than the usual. Also, I take a shower everyday and I have very good hygiene but I use public restroom everyday at college.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 13 minutes later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
The kind of problem that you are describing, it appears to be a small hematoma or contusion. Sometimes small blood vessel may bleed due to some minor trauma and the blood stays under the skin leading to a red colored spot. The redness disappears mostly after a few hours when the seeped in blood is removed by the scavenger cells leading to the resolution in the spot.
There is nothing much to worry about. You need not even think about it unless it appears again.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be more than happy to help you if you need any further clarifications.
In case you don’t need any further clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and review it if possible.
In case if you want to discuss with me directly you can use the link:
WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you a good health!

Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 23 hours later
Thank you for your detailed reply. I have another related question. Today, since around noon I believe, from time to time I felt some minor pain above the penis(very close to it but not on it). Even though I think it was minor, I still couldn't ignore it so I might even call it moderate pain. Every time it hurts, it is exactly at the same point. I have to mention that I took a hot shower some time ago and the pain stopped completely. I didn't feel anymore pain at all for more than an hour. It is the first time it happened to me.I have to update my reply and say that it still hurts from time to time.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 35 minutes later
Thanks for posting your follow-up query.
From the description that you stated, especially about the update regarding the pain, it appears that it could be a small infection on the penis. Sometimes even bruises appearing cause of minor trauma can cause mild pain and if it gets infected then too it is painful.
I think it is time that you need to show the lesion to a surgeon who can examine you properly.
All said, it doesn't appear to be any serious problem and there is no need to panic.
Wear loose clothing and make an appointment with a surgeon.
WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you a good health!
Follow up: Dr. Srikanth Reddy 44 hours later
I have one last question please before I review it. I wanted to go to the doctor on Friday but today is Thursday and it's 6 PM and I didn't feel any pain at all during the entire day. Do you think I should still go? If I have to, then what should I tell him?
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 36 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query.
Sorry for the delay in answering as i was travelling.
If the red spot is still seen then yes you should go to a doctor.
If there is no red spot or not even slight pain then threr may not be any reason to see a doctor. even the doctor has to examine the lesiom before he can comment on it confidently.
Do look out for any recurrance...if there is, do visit a doctor.
Hope I am able to solve your concerns.
Wish you good health.