Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Noticed redness and thickness inside of penis foreskin. Worrisome

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 2190 Questions
The inside of my penis foreskin has thickened and there is redness on my penis head .Some irritation on the penis head.
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

It appears that you are having a "balano-posthitis", which is an infection of the foreskin and glans (head) of the penis. I have noticed in your medical history that you are a diabetic. Now, this infection is indeed common in diabetics, especially when the sugars are not properly controlled.

Here are a few suggestions which you can follow:

- Proper genital hygiene is very important.
- Wash the area 3 to 4 times a day with diluted potassium permanganate solution or a diluted, mild anti-septic solution.
- After washing, dry the area well with a clean cloth.
- You can apply a topical antibiotic and anti-fungal cream (e.g. Trioderm, Candid B, etc.) twice a day.
- Avoid using perfumed soaps, deodarant shower gels, etc. which may irritate the skin and mucosa.
- Wear thin cotton underwear to avoid sweating and dampness.
- Most importantly, check your blood sugars and ensure that it is under control.

If you follow these suggestions and your sugars are controlled, your infection should subside within a few days. However, in case, it persists or worsens then you need to visit a dermatologist for a proper evaluation and further treatment.

Best wishes,
Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor