Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
125 Doctors are Online

Noticed redness and puffiness on upper cheek bone area. No pain. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10642 Questions
I have recently in the last few days. On my upper cheek bone there is puffiness and it is a little red. No pain or anything just doesnt look very good
Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
The redness and swelling of the cheek is likely to be due to angioedema. Angioedema is an allergic condition characterized by swelling just below the surface of the skin. Angioedema is a much deeper swelling, occasionally leading to breathing difficulty. Sometimes it's not possible to pinpoint the cause. It is usually caused by an allergic reaction, to food, medication, pollen or insect stings.
It can be controlled if the preventive measures are followed; such as avoiding those things which can trigger an attack of allergy and angioedema. Some doctor suggest skin patch test (allergen test) to find the triggering allergens which can be avoided.
You can consult your dermatologist for the specific treatment.
Meanwhile taking an oral antiallergic like cetrizine and applying 1% hydrocortisone cream on the area will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor