Noticed redness and puffiness on upper cheek bone area. No pain. How to get relief?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have recently in the last few days. On my upper cheek bone there is puffiness and it is a little red. No pain or anything just doesnt look very good
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
The redness and swelling of the cheek is likely to be due to angioedema. Angioedema is an allergic condition characterized by swelling just below the surface of the skin. Angioedema is a much deeper swelling, occasionally leading to breathing difficulty. Sometimes it's not possible to pinpoint the cause. It is usually caused by an allergic reaction, to food, medication, pollen or insect stings.
It can be controlled if the preventive measures are followed; such as avoiding those things which can trigger an attack of allergy and angioedema. Some doctor suggest skin patch test (allergen test) to find the triggering allergens which can be avoided.
You can consult your dermatologist for the specific treatment.
Meanwhile taking an oral antiallergic like cetrizine and applying 1% hydrocortisone cream on the area will help.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.