Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

167 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Noticed redness and pain on penis tip of a child. How to treat it?

Answered by
Dr. G.Srinivasan


Practicing since :1991

Answered : 1414 Questions

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 in Penis Problems
Question: My year old son was circumcised at birth and always seemed to have more foreskin than normal. My pediatrician would just tell me to make sure to pull it down and clean the penis after baths. Tonight when I did that I noticed the skin under the head of his penis is very red and its painful when I touch it or wipe it. Its defiantly a sore, I'm just not sure how to treat it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Sorry to hear about him.
At birth, since the penis is very small, assessment of how much skin to be removed may not be easy for many surgeons.
So after the procedure, foreskin may be little extra and so it is prone for infection.
The best approach is to see a doc asap.
Till then, you may apply antibacterial ointment like BACITRACIN/SORRAMYCIN/FUCIDIN, thrice daily for a week.
Of course, hygiene is a must.
If infection occurs repeatedly, he may need re-operation to remove the excess skin.
Hope this helps. Kindly do not hesitate to revert back for doubts if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Medical Procedures ,  

Recent questions on  Circumcision

doctor1 MD

I am 40 of black African origin. I'm circumcised and generally in good health. I weigh 10stone (65kg). Recently I had a little scare that perhaps I was developing penile thrush after a "near miss" of unprotected sex. I then bought thrush cream over the counter and loaded it heavily on myself. After more than 2wks I noticed that what I thought was ?developing thrush is something that has ever been there as it doesn't seem to change with time. I've been keeping a very close eye on it and its now over 2months since the incident but still the suspect part of my penis is looking the same. But now my concern is that I have recently noticed flaking on my glans. It’s just a small area, about 30% of the whole glans. On closer examination it appears like the area is keratinised. I'm not sure whether it’s because of my conditioned of circumcision, or I overused thrush cream more than a month ago, or it’s something needing urgent medical care. Otherwise all other things are normal. I've not developed any sores, or pain when passing urine. All is normal except for this flaking. If it wasn't for the near miss experience I will dismiss this flaking as keratinized glans. But I've never experienced flaking before. I've been circumcised for 10yrs now. Thanks.

doctor1 MD

Hi doctor, I am a 26 years old male. I had to undergo circumcision due to congenital phimosis in june this year. A "Shang Ring" was placed on the cut line after the surgery and thus stitches were not needed. After 8 days of surgery, the ring detached partially and it began burning. So I visited my doctor but he could not notice it. In next two days the burning sensation aggravated and i again visited the doctor. This time he removed the ring and told me that edema had occurred at the cut line and that it would heal on its own. Now three months have passed but there is no improvement on edema. What should I do now? Please help me.

doctor1 MD

I am 59 year old male. My foreskin is getting thicker, harder and I can't control where my urine goes. It goes everywhere. I have also found blood spots in my underwear a couple of times, months apart. I had a urinalysis and blood was found. I had a couple of heart attacks last year, but my heart is doing great! I had 2 stints put in. I take plavix, metropolol, simvistatin, lisinopril, and an 85mg aspirin daily. I will be seeing a urinologist in a month, but I am worried. Would like to have some idea what may be going on. I am overweight. I have arthritis. I don't drink or smoke and have never used drugs. I do use tylenol 3 and percoset for pain of the arthritis. I am not very active due to the arthritis pain. I have a degenerated disk in my low back, along with arthritis there. I have no pain urinating or in my kidneys. I have no difficulty urinating, except for the control of where it goes because of the foreskin. I have no problems with erections. Can you give me a little insight into what may be some of the things that may cause this bleeding? Thanks.

doctor1 MD

have flakey/dry skin on my penis at the tip of penis but its on my foreskin, its starting to go abit spotty, its horrible, i darent have sex with my girlfriend because of it, im scared it will hurt me, whats wrong with my penis? ive had it for a few days now?

doctor1 MD

I am 30 years old. I just had circumcision in August. From October I started developing brown/black patches on the penis glans . The patches are around the urethra starting from areas where the stitches are placed. I need some guidance as to why...

doctor1 MD

I'm 25 and have never retracted foreskin from penis gland( mild phimosis ). When I do touch it it hurts( probably cuz I've never exposed my head in 25 years) 2 questions 1. Is preputioplasty good way to fix my problem ( since my penis head is...

doctor1 MD

Hi there Dr. Kakkar, I have asked you a question before about pumps on my penis. I went to see a local doctor and he confirmed your diagnosis and prescribed a cream which took care of the bumps within 10 days. Thanks you very much for that....