Noticed red strings in bowel movement. What is causing this and cure?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have noticed red strings and red spots in my bowel movements. This does not occur every time.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Red string and spots are most likely the blood.
Blood in stool can be caused by several diseases including: hemorrhoids (most common), anal fissure, rectal polyps, inflammatory intestinal disease and colon cancer.
If your blood appears on the surface of the stool and is red or bright, hemorrhoids or anal fissure is very possible (anal fissure gives also a lot of pain in the rectum).
If the blood is mixed with stool and red, polyps are most probable.
If the blood is black so the whole stool is very black, the bleeding comes from stomach.
In every blood in stool case, colonoscopy should be performed to rule out the cancer. Full blood work should be also performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
The red strings and red spots appear to be part of the stool but on the surface, it does not appear to run through the stool or through the middle of it. This same problem occurred two years ago, lasted a brief time and stopped. It has now reoccurred.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 55 minutes later
Hello!

According to what I have written before, this is most likely caused by hemorrhoids. But before such diagnosis, colonoscopy should be performed to make sure this is not something worst than hemorrhoids. Such bleedings can come and go. Some bleedings may stay hidden and invisible for you. So as long as you wont get this test done, nothing will be certain.

Regards.