Noticed red rashes on the back of neck. What could it be?

Dr. Sudarshan

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash
Question: i have a red XXXXXXX on the back of my neck going up thru the back of my hair. it is not itchy but I don't know what it is.
it is not lumpy. i have been coloring my hair for years. i am 73 yrs old
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 43 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in.
It can postinflammatory hyperpigmentation,keloidal scar,insect bite etc.

Can you upload photos of the affected area?
Photos can help a lot in predicting the condition.

Also I would like to know -
Was there itching over the area any time?
Is there any redness over the area or surrounding?
Is there any change in the consistency or thickness of the affected area?(thickening or thinning)?
Any bleeding/pain tenderness/history of trauma /scratching through the area?

Answer the questions and upload images to helps you better.

Hope this helps.

I will be available for follow up.

Regards.

DrSudarshan
Dermatology.
Follow up: Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
very little itching. no redness over the area or surrounding...no thickining or thinness.
no bleeding or pain ..looks like a birthmark, however it appeared later in life. possible scratching now and then
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 8 hours later
Hi again,
Thanks for the details.
Photographs of the affected area would be of great help.
It can be acquired nevus or acquired birth XXXXXXX also it can be seborrheic keratosis an age related change .also it can be senile purpura which occurs due to little or no trauma to the skin ,it is also age related change.

As it is asymptomatic, no further action is required if it increases in size or becomes asymptomatic then a visit to dermatologist will be required.
Photos of the affected area would be required for the predicting the nature of this lesion.

Hope this helps .
Dr XXXXXXX