Noticed red blotch on breast. What could be the cause?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: I noticed a red blotch on the side of my breast, and thought I may have hit it somehow or from sleeping in my arm. That was a couple of weeks ago. There is now the same red blotches on my other breast. It is not itchy. Sometimes it turns a bluish color but doesn't go away. The blotching covers about a third of my breast. It is not raised nor does it hurt or itch. Breasts do not feel hot or warm. There is some tenderness in the right breast. Nipple and surrounding areas are normal.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
There can be various causes for bruises or blotches like that and the most common ones are
Local injury( ruled out in your case )
Regular intake of pain killers or blood thinning drugs like aspirin or clopidogrel
Intake of certain supplements like fish oil or ginkgo Biloba 
Lack of platelets
Deficiency of VIT K or VIT C
Bleeding disorders( ruled out since you recently got hip surgery )
Intake of antidepressants 

Sometimes there may not be any cause found,as capillaries in old age become very fragile and can get broken even with slightest of pressure or force.

I would advise you To take more fresh fruits and get your blood examined to look for platelet count.
If platelets are found to be normal and you cant pinpoint the cause,as i mentioned above,then you should wait and watch.
If there are repeated episodes of bruising,then get yourself evaluated properly by consulting a doctor.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks