Noticed raised spot on chest. Worrisome

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi,

I've got a question with regards to a raised spot on my chest area.
The following is some details of the spot:
- Small, circular raised spot with black dot in the center.
- The black dot feels a little hard to the touch, like touching a scab from a wound.
- It is painless
- There is also no pain when I touch, poke, etc
- There is no blood

The raised spot appeared suddenly a few months back and I am worried what it might be.
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

You have given a very good description, and a good clinical photograph.

The most likely diagnosis is sebaceous cyst (black punctum over the swelling is very typical of this condition).

It can occur anywhere on the skin, however, in men, chest is a common area.

It is caused by blocked sebaceous glands (found in the skin), or swelling of hair follicles.

It is a benign condition, and there is no need to worry about it.

The best and simple method of treating it is removing it surgically (a minor operation). Applying heating pad over it for 10-14 days (10-15 minutes twice daily) may also help.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM